Summer often flies by much faster than people would like. For kids in particular, having a fun-filled summer is a must before heading back to the routine of school. Why not plan that summer vacation for late August and take your family on an exciting, high-adventure Grand Canyon white water river rafting trip?
A white water expedition on the Colorado River offers adventure and education to families with children at least 8 years old – far from the computers and other gadgets that keep us indoors and disconnected from nature. Of course, it’s a way to spend quality time together as well, and these trips offer several benefits that make them an ideal vacation option:
1. Rafting companies offer packages for families. There are plenty of options to choose from for all preferences, schedules, and physical needs. Whether you want to explore all 188 miles of the Colorado through the Grand Canyon on a two-week expedition, or just a few days experiencing part of the canyon, there are customizable rafting packages available that will fit your needs.
2. There are motorized rafts available, while others might prefer the physicality of oar power. These boats are often large enough to accommodate 16-30 people – so you can bring along other relatives as well for a full family adventure. The area is also a hiker’s paradise, with plenty of side canyons to explore from top to bottom, and most packages include day hiking for a complete Grand Canyon experience.
3. For elderly or disabled family members, there’s no reason why they can’t enjoy the vacation, too – many companies offer special accommodations and transportation from rim to rim to make sure these individuals can safely and comfortably experience the canyon.
4. There is no shortage of attractions to keep your family excited. While white water rafting is the focus of these trips, the canyon is full of natural wonders that are perfect for exploring – and learning a little about the area’s history. Day trips range from hidden canyons and caverns to refreshing waterfalls and pools, all offering great photo opportunities and scenic spots to take a break from the heat. There are even ancient ruins built into the canyon walls that capture the timelessness of the area.
5. From food to sleeping accommodations – everything is taken care of when you work with a professional guide company. You don’t need to worry about packing meals or lugging around bulky sleeping bags. Included supplies vary, but items like tents, chairs, eating utensils, and of course, life vests are covered by many rafting groups. The guides are even all accomplished cooks – so you can look forward to fine dining (campground-style) too.
6. Expert guides make sure you and your family get the most out of your trip. The best professionals have years of experience under their belts, and can tell you all there is to know about the history and geology of the canyon. In addition, they are skilled navigators and boaters, providing you with an interesting and safe experience as you travel down the river. While the nature of the trips always holds the possibility of accidents, guides are trained in everything from CPR to food handling, and some even hold EMT certification – so you can rest assured that you and your family will be in good hands.
A Grand Canyon river rafting expedition offers an exciting way to finish summer on a high note. The memories from the trip – whether braving the rapids or enjoying the breathtaking views – will be a great addition to your family’s experiences.